9 Effective Breathing exercises to lose belly fat
How good it be if you are not doing any exercise, still maintaining your physique and weight. Losing weight by putting less effort is a dream, but dreams can turn into reality. One good thing is that you don’t need any equipment, neither walking nor jumping. Breathing exercises are the most trusted and effective in burning the fat tissues around the abdominal area. It is not something that needs extra time besides, if you’re conscious enough about your breath, then it is already performed well. It only takes 5 – 10 minutes to complete, and regular practising can give you tremendous results on the body. First, let us know about breathing.
Breathing exercises also called Pranayama in Sanskrit. It means to have control on breath along with doing yoga asanas (postures) or specific practices. Pranayama is an extension of the life force that is breath. It helps in clearing out the obstacles in the mind and body, maintaining a balance between the mental, physical and emotional state. Nowadays, people are so much stressed due to office work, clumsy lifestyle, and not having proper meals on time. The poor lifestyle disturbs the over-all state of the body, and people get trapped into several diseases. Practising Pranayama or the Breathing exercises can be fruitful and leads in fast recovery of the emotional and physical state of the body. As each breath, while inhaling and exhaling brings calmness inside and illness outside of the body, respectively.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF BREATHING EXERCISES
No need to run towards the gym and to spend your money on gym trainers and yoga professionals. Here are a few different types of Pranayama, easy to do and loaded with maximum health benefits.
1. Shining the skull breathing exercise
Also known as Kapalbhati Pranayama, where Kapal is meaning Skull. It is a simple breath control exercise, prolonged passive inhalation, and short, forceful exhalation occurs. It focuses on the lower belly area and effective in fighting off diseases.
How to do Kapalbhati Pranayama
- Sit in a crossed leg posture, keeping palms open on your knees facing towards the sky.
- The spine should be erect comfortably and take a deep inhalation of air.
- As you start exhaling, pull your stomach and navel backward as much you can while exhaling forcefully.
- Feel the contraction of the abdomen muscles.
- Relax as breath moves slowly into the lungs, navel, and abdomen gets back in the initial position.
- Repeat this process for 20 times for beginners and slowly increase the number of repetitions.
Health benefits of Kapalbhati Pranayama-
- Prevents hair loss.
- Aids in weight loss.
- Highly stress-reducing.
- It helps in curing stomach disorders.
- Increases blood flow in the body.
- Stabilizing hormones in the body.
- It also helps in controlling thoughts and actions.
- Eliminates the feeling of anger and confusion.
- It helps in overcoming depression and anxiety.
- It provides calm, balance, and peace of mind.
- Treatment of diabetes, asthma and provides relief from other respiratory problems.
2. Diaphragm breathing exercise
Also called abdominal breathing and belly breathing (Breathing with your belly). This breathing exercise involves the diaphragm muscles located at the base of the lungs, and abdominal muscles help in the exhalation process. The continuous engagement of diaphragm while breathing increases lung capacity.
How to do Diaphragm breathing exercise
- Choose a comfortable position, and you can either do lying on a mat or sitting on a chair.
- Now place your one hand on the chest and the other one on the abdomen.
- Take a deep breath in, while inhaling, the stomach moves outward and waits for a few seconds.
- Now during the exhalation process, press your stomach slightly inward and slowly exhales out.
- Repeat this breathing exercise several times according to your body adjustments.
Health benefits of Diaphragm breathing exercise
- Good for your lungs, as well as strengthening the diaphragm.
- Aids in lowering the anxiety and depression level.
- It helps in lowering the heart rate, hence reduces the blood pressure.
- Good for your brain functioning.
- It Strengthens the core of the body.
- Promotes in the treatment of COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) in the person.
- It also helps in overcoming the symptoms of PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).
- Strengthens the transverse abdominis, rectus abdominals, and oblique regions.
- It reduces the harmful effects of the stress hormone cortisol in the body.
3. Flying stomach lock exercise
Also known as Uddiyana Bandha, or upper abdominal lock hence creating a vacuum in the stomach. This abdominal breathing exercise leads to the bondage between body parts, unlike mukti. This is a very advanced type of Pranayam and needs one experience to do. This exercise should be performed on an empty stomach.
How to do Uddiyana Bandha exercise
- Stand with your should feet distance apart and bent your knees slightly outward.
- Keep the hands on the thighs or behind the head, whichever you are comfortable with.
- Now exhale slowly until your lungs are completely empty.
- Pull the abdominal walls in towards your back and try to make it in a smaller waist that looks like a lock in the abdomen
- Here comes the most important step, mock inhalation that is without actual inhalation you try to expand your rib cage.
- Hold this position for a few seconds and slowly release the abdominal muscles slowly.
- Now inhale as your abdomen is relaxed completely.
- Repeat this daily for 4 – 5 times.
Health benefits of Uddiyana Bandha exercise
- Power breathing exercise to increase energy and recharge the body.
- Toning the abdominal muscles obliques muscle and the internal organs.
- It unifies the localised energy stimulated from the lower belly (Apana Vayu) to the navel region (Samana Vayu) and heart (Prana Vayu).
- It improves gastrointestinal and digestive disorders by increasing the digestive fires in the body.
- Elimination of the toxins from the body.
- Helps in improving the functioning of the pancreas and liver, suitable for diabetes patients,
- Aids blood circulation in the brain region.
4. Deep nose breath exercise
Deep nose breathing exercise is a simple and controlled breathing exercise that gives maximum results on your body. Proper Deep breathing exercise helps in massaging the internal organs and glands of the body. Thus helping to move the lymph fluids and white blood cells effectively throughout the body.
How to do Deep nose breath exercise
- Sit in a crossed leg posture, one hand on your chest and other on abdomen and spine erect.
- You can also do it while lying on the mat, pillow placing below the knees and one hand on your chest and other on abdomen.
- Choose an open area like your garden, terrace, park, or any spacious room so as to have the maximum results.
- Now take a deep breath via the nose, mouth closed, and fill your abdomen with air so that it rises.
- Slowly exhale out with the mouth. Continue taking 3 more deep breaths and slowly exhale out with the fall of the abdomen.
- You can perform this for 7-10 minutes, twice in a day.
- As you inhale think of taking calmness, energy while you exhale out release stress, fear, and tension.
Health benefits of deep nose breath exercise
- To clear the mind and relieve the stress.
- Deep breathing relieved one from anxiety and recommended to practice during the confusion state of mind.
- It increases the concentration level of students and is highly beneficial during the examination.
- It alkalizes and helps in neutralizing the acidity, hence maintains the pH level of the body.
- Deep breathing promotes the relaxation of all sense organs and improves their functioning.
- It increases lung capacity and helps in curing respiratory diseases like asthma.
Also Read: How to maintain hygiene in intimate area
5. Pursed lip breathing exercise
Pursued lip breathing is very light and easy exercise and any age of people can do it. This exercise is a kind of fun and enjoyment when you deliberately produced the whistle sound and calm yourself.
How to do Pursed lip breathing exercise
- Sit or stand in a comfortable position.
- Slowly take a deep breath in, while inhaling your air mouth is close.
- Fill your lungs completely with air and hold the breath for a few seconds.
- Now slowly exhale the air, during exhalation the lips are pursued and a deliberate whistle sound is produced through the lips.
- Repeat this process twice a day or at any time when you have performed intense activities.
Health benefits of Pursed lip breathing exercise
- It helps in curing COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases ) like Emphysema and Chronic bronchitis.
- It helps in increasing lung capacity and strengthening the diaphragm muscles.
- Pursue lip breathing reduce stress and shortness of breath condition.
6. Humming bee breathing exercise
Also known as Bhramari Prayanama. Bhramari in Sanskrit means bee or humming bee. During the exhalation process, it produces a humming (hum…) sound. It boosts your focus, concentration, and brings joy and happiness. When you perform a certain kind of vibrations are felt in the body.
How to do Bhramari Prayanam
- We will do shankh mukhi mudra bhramari pranayama (where all the 6 gates through which external agency enters in the body (2 ears, 2 eyes, nose, and mouth) are shut down completely using these five fingers.)
- Sit in a crossed leg posture and spine erect.
- Close both of your ear canals with the thumbs, both the eyes with the fore fingers, place the middle fingers on both the sides of the nose and little fingers below the lips and start doing breathe in and breathe out.
- During breathe out humming sound is produced from all the closed gates.
- Repeat this process for 5 minutes.
Health benefits of Bhramari Prayanama
- It helps in increasing the concentration of the mind.
- The brainwaves generated during the sound produced helps in relaxing the mind and body.
- A kind of breathing exercise to treat insomnia and enhance the quality of sleep.
- It boosts the cardiovascular system and manages blood pressure.
- It gives strength during pregnancy and calms the mind.
7. Bellows breathing exercise
Also known as Bhastrika Pranayama, it is the power of breath and way of super recharging of your body. Bhastrika Pranayama helps in balancing the three doshas that are Kapha, vita, pitta. It is very similar to Kapalbhati but different in the way of practicing it. Kapalbhati involves the movement of the lungs and abdomen, whereas Bhastrika Pranayama has lungs and chest engagement.
How to do Bhastrika Pranayama
- Sit in a crossed leg position that is lotus pose (Padmasana)
- Now take a deep breath in and hold it for 5 seconds.
- Then slowly release the breathe out.
- Continue inhaling and exhaling for 21 times; this becomes one cycle of Bhastrika pranayama.
- You can continue doing for 3 minutes after having an experience.
Health benefits of Bhastrika Pranayama
- Increasing the power of the eyes.
- It treats respiratory issues like cough, sneeze.
- Helps in dealing with anxiety and depressions.
- It is good for the lungs and diaphragm functioning.
- strengthens the overall immunity of the body.
- It produces heat in the body, performed during winter times and good for low blood pressure people
8. Alternate nostril breathing exercise
It is commonly known as Nadi Shodhna or Anulom Vilom. Nadi is a subtle energy channel, and Shodhna is purification or cleaning. The entire process involves the redemption of the blocked channels of energy and clears the hurdles in the channel, to have the free flow of energy in the body.
How to do Alternate Nostril breathing exercise
- Sit in a crossed leg posture, eyes should be closed in the entire process, and a left hand rested on the left knee in the chin mudra. (forefinger and thumbs touches each other)
- The right hand is working in the entire process—the right hand placed on the nostrils.
- The thumb touches the right side of the nostril, forefinger and middle finger is placed between the eyebrows, while the ring finger, little finger on the left side of the nostril.
- Inhale from right nostril side, then placed a thumb on it and exhaled from the left nostril further put the ring and little finger on it.
- Now, Inhale from left nostril side, then placed a ring and little finger on it and exhaled from the left nostril further put the thumb on it.
- This completes the one single cycle and repeats for 9 more cycles of it.
Health benefits of alternate nostril breathing exercise
- An excellent method for increasing the focus, concentration and relaxation of the mind.
- It maintains and harmonizes both the left and right sides of the brain.
- It infuses energy in the body through the Nadis- the subtle energy channels in the entire body.
- Helps in blood purification and circulation in the body.
- It is a good exercise for the lungs, calms the mind, and maintains the body temperature.
Also Read: How to use Menstrual Cups without leakage
9. 4-7-8 Breathing technique
As the name signifies, it is a particular type of breathing exercise that is very easy to perform, Carefully take precautions before doing it. It is a “relaxing breathing exercise” that involves 4 seconds of inhalation, hold the breath for 7 seconds, and 3 seconds of exhalation.
How to do 4-7-8 Breathing technique
- Sit in a comfortable position.
- Empty the lungs completely.
- Now take a deep breathe in for 3 seconds.
- Hold this breath for 7 seconds and relax your self.
- Now exhale forcefully for 8 seconds with whoosh like sound.
- Repeat this step for 5 more cycles.
Health benefits of 4-7-8 Breathing technique
- It helps in stress management and relives one from anxiety.
- 4-7-8 technique is beneficial to have a sound sleep.
- It cures respiratory problems like asthma.
- It also helps in the management of hunger hormones and cravings.
DISCOVERED UNIQUE JAPANESE WAY OF BREATHING EXERCISE TO LOSE BELLY FAT
Recently, a Japanese actor Mike Ryosuke developed this extraordinary way of losing weight as well as belly fat. He lost 13 kg and 4.7 inches around the waist area that too within a week. He did it for relieving his back pain as instructed by his doctor, but he was surprised by this result.Mike Ryosuke called it as Long-breath diet, and this Japanese technique helped in losing belly fat quickly.
HOW TO DO JAPANESE WAY OF BREATHING EXERCISE TO LOSE BELLY FAT
- Stand straight, with spine erect.
- Now take out your one leg forward and other remains at the original position.
- Feel the strain in your glutes and put maximum weight on the back foot.
- Join your hands, lift above the head and inhale for 3 seconds.
- Exhale forcefully for 7 seconds and feel the stress and strain on the entire body due to explosive exhalation.
RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN BREATHING AND METABOLISM
Thers is direct relationship between breathing and metabolism. In simple terms as your breathing improves it will have direct on improving your metabolism of the body. As the supply of oxygen in cellular tissues are increased during breathing exercises and this extra oxygen will be used effeciently in burning the fat tissues deposited near thighs, abdominal and arms areas. It also improves the blood circulation in the body. You will be surprised to know that human body is considered as the oxygen factory and this oxygen works as a fuel in starting the cellular reactions in the body.
Also Read: How to maintain hygiene in intimate area
BENEFITS OF BREATHING EXERCISE
- It helps in relaxing and soothing the mind. It helps in improving the perception, inculcating durable will power, bringing peace of mind to achieve mindfulness and wellness of the body and mind.
- Aids in weight loss– Controlled breathing exercises help stabilization of the hunger hormone ghrelin and avoid cravings for the food. Additionally, it increases the metabolism of the body leading to burning the extra depositional fat tissues. an
- Aids in releasing the stress and mood-boosting – It stabilizes the mood and the energy by improving the focus, mental clarity, and self-awareness.
- Cleansing of the overall body – Pranayama boosts the purification of blood, release of toxins, thus helps in the detoxification of the body and promoting living a healthy long life.
- Helps in toning of the organs – All these above breathing exercises are powerful and result oriented. They help in the coordination and involvement of organs like diaphragm, lungs, abdomens, and hormones. The continuous movement of lungs and membranes strengthens and toning of the organs.
- Boosting the cardiovascular and respiratory system – Breathing exercises are one of the essential parts of maintaining the oxygen levels in the body. Enough oxygen circulation in the blood boosts the immunity of the body and increases the holding of lung capacity.
PREVENTION MUST BE TAKEN BEFORE PERFORMING BREATHING EXERCISES
While doing these breathing exercises, you should consult your physician or doctor first, if you have any medical illness. Hypertension patients should take care of yourself, and precautions are must taken.
Breathing exercises or Pranayama are considered a magical tool in this very busy lifestyle. Regular practice can give immense amount of results. For example; from weight loss to stabilization of hormones in body. If you eat a good balanced diet, include fresh fruits alongwith these breathing exercises, it will show you great results within a week. Gradual changes in your lifestyle will happen and you will really enjoy that.
We hope this article helped you to know about 9 Effective Breathing exercises to lose belly fat. You may also want to see our guide on How to manage or overcome Binge eating disorder (BED) and Best foods that can help you to improve sleep quality at night.