How to use Menstrual Cups without leakage
Menstruation is seen as women’s bleeding or in lucid terms, her”periods” occurring every month and menstrual cycle are hormonal cycle repeating every month when she is not pregnant. Menstrual Hygiene Day (MHD) is observed on every 28th of May. Menstruation is still considered as a taboo or dirty thing in some parts of India and some parts, it is honored and celebrated as a family function when the girl first starts to menstruate in her life. Choosing a healthy, safe, and hygiene product is the right of every girl and woman when it comes to their health-related matters. By using these menstrual cups every female can say and feel the line that is personally my favorite “bleed with pride.“
First let us know in simple words, what is a menstrual cup? A menstrual cup is a flexible, pliable, and funnels shaped cup made of high medical-grade silicone, latex or rubber which is inserted in the vagina and collects period blood. It’s a feminine hygiene product that comes in small and medium sizes as per the suitability and choice of the user. Unlike traditional cloth use, sanitary pads and tampons (made up of cotton or blend of cotton and rayon and then sits in the vagina) which absorb blood and need a stockpiling in house every time. High-quality cups are long-lasting that can last up to a year to 10 years if it is handled with care and stored in hygienic place and are reusable, while others are disposable after immediate use or single-use disposing cups.
ADVANTAGES OF USING MENSTRUAL CUPS
1. ECO-FRIENDLY IN NATURE
When compared to the use of tampons and sanitary pads or napkins, menstrual cups are Eco-friendly as well as sustainable in nature and hence cause much little damage to our environment.
2. SAVING MONEY
Using a menstrual cup can save a lot of money. Exactly, the saved money can be utilized for good deeds. Recent shreds of evidence suggested for over 10 years that a single menstrual cup could cost a much meager amount than pads or tampons. A menstrual cup could cost roughly five to six percent of the cost of using 12 sanitary pads (on average $ 0.31 each) or tampons (on average $ 0.21 each) per period.
3. LESS WASTE GENERATED IN THE ENVIRONMENT
The sanitary pads usually consist of 90% use of single plastic which is considered poison for the environment. It requires up to 800 years for disposing of completely. It is also studied that for 10 years a menstrual cup can create 0.4 – 0.5 percent of the plastic waste when compared to the single-use sanitary pads or approximately 6 percent of that produced by the use of tampons regularly.
4. PROPER MANAGEMENT OF WASTE
It does not need proper disposable bins, just go to the toilets or washrooms and flush the period blood or pour and wash it in the sink basin properly. This helps in less waste generation and no human is required to segregate this waste (my body waste) doing manually. Additionally, less use of landfills requires to decompose such waste.
5. EASY TO USE AND LEAKAGE PROOF
Yes, it gives me the feeling of joy. It is just very simple to use and can be inside for 6 to 12 hours as per the blood flow volume. Once fitted properly inside the vagina makes one feel as you are the same as on the other day and minimal or no chances of leakage are there. This makes one relax and calm during these hard times. I feel proud to use my education and liberal values on myself for the sake of the earth as not to become a dump yard because of such waste.
HOW TO USE MENSTRUAL CUPS
These steps must be follow properly, if you are a beginner:
Nowadays urban metro cities women and college moving girls are using these menstrual cups on a regular interval and have noticed positive impacts in their lifestyle. If you’re a beginner so you need to talk a gynecologist and after her advice do as she says. These menstrual cups are easily available on various online selling platforms of various ranges and one can order from there. Some medical shops are also selling.
Some times women and girls find messy and difficulty in inserting these menstrual cups in the vagina part. So before purchasing these cups, one should have good knowledge about their intimate part like:
SELECTION OF MENSTRUAL CUP
- the size and length of the cervix (required small and medium-size cups)
- age of women if she is below 30 years (small size cups) and above 30 age group (medium size cups)
- dependent on the amount of blood flow if its light flow or heavy flow
- vaginal or cervix part stretched due to giving birth to a child.
- Before using menstrual cup sterilization of these menstrual cups must make it bacteria-free. It needed to done every time before the insertion to avoid any infection and irritation in intimate parts.
- Boil the menstrual cup for 3-5 minutes in a bowl and avoid touching the cups to the base of the bowl.
HOW TO INSERT A MENSTRUAL CUP
HERE ARE JUST SIMPLE STEPS TO FOLLOW PROPERLY
- Wash your hands thoroughly by using alcohol-based sanitizer. You can use simple soap and water before touching intimate areas in your menstrual days to avoid any infection.
- Before inserting a menstrual cup, first grease the rim of the cup with water. You can also use water-based lubricants which allow easy insertion in the vagina.
- Now fold the menstrual cup rim in half so its size gets reduce and inserting becomes easily.
- Make yourself comfortable either by sitting in a squat position or standing straight.
- Now take the folded menstrual cup holding the rim part and try to insert in vagina up to some distance.
- Once it gets insert properly a pop-up sound or created like suction pressure feels in the vagina. This indicates that cups placed in the right position and no chances of leakage confirmed.
Also Read: How to maintain hygiene in intimate area
It is necessary to create suction like pressure or airtight seal in the vaginal part to avoid minimal leakage. If any irritation or feeling of discomfort, immediately talk to your gynecologist and try not to panic. These menstrual cups can hold up to 6 hrs without leakage. In light flow, these cups can be used for overnight protection that is up to 12 hours.
- Once it feels like filled change it immediately.
- Wash your hands thoroughly by using alcohol-based sanitizer. You can use just simple soap and water before touching intimate areas in your menstrual days to avoid any infection.
- Sit in a squat or stand in any comfortable position. Slowly place your index finger and thumb in the vagina, slowly and gently pull the stem of cups.
- Gently pinch the stem part to release the tight air seal and now remove it slowly.
- Throw out the content in the washbasin or flush in the toilet and wash the empty cup properly.
These menstrual cups can used for 3 – 4 times in 24 hrs. Wash it properly and reinsert in the vagina with proper handle. Once your period days are over wash these cups properly and again sterilize it properly. It should be store it in the container or any poly-cotton cloth bag to avoid any bacterial contact.
HOW TO REMOVE THESE MENSTRUAL CUPS
- MESSY IN USE – Some times women feel messy to handle. These menstrual cups and creates trouble and get panic without reading the instructions properly.
- MAY CAUSE ALLERGY IN INTIMATE AREA – Without proper sterilization and proper care. Keeping it for a long time may cause allergic in the vagina. If something like this happens consult your gynecologist immediately.
- HARD TO INSERT AND REMOVE THESE CUPS – Women are unfamiliar with this kind of product. This makes them discomfort while inserting and removal of cups. But after the use of 6 – 7 times, one gets familiar and easily develops the skill to insert and adjust in the vagina. But never give up and don’t switch back on those traditional methods.
- FINDING CORRECT FIT – The main issue why women just reject the idea of wearing menstrual cups is that they don’t get the right fit and size for the vagina. Hence, faces problems of leakage. Sometimes the menstrual cups just don’t get inserted properly or if inserted they come out easily, as the airtight is not build up inside to hold the cups.
See every product has some pros and cons but that does not mean we cannot try new and environment-friendly products. I understand that some women may face problems in initials days of using menstrual cups. Once they get use to it, then they will love to wear and encourage other women or girls to try.
I use this and highly recommend others to wear in their period days. This will help you to switch from traditional sanitary pads and tampons. Breathe fresh air and let the environment breathe fresh air.
We hope this article helped you to know about How to use Menstrual Cups. Check out to see our guide on Top 15 squats variations for maximum health benefit.