Turmeric: Health Benefits, Nutritional Value, Side Effects
There are various turmeric health benefits and India is the largest producer, consumer, and product of turmeric in the world. Turmeric produced in India is taken to be the simplest because it contains a high amount of curcumin. India accounts for 80% of the total production of turmeric in the world.
Brief Information about turmeric
- Scientific Name: Kurkuma Lounga
- Common Name: Turmeric
- Sanskrit Name: Haridra
Useful parts of turmeric: turmeric root or rhizome is used in medicines and food.
Geographical Details: Turmeric is usually grown in South Asia. Turmeric is found in India, Taiwan, Haiti, Indonesia, China, Sri Lanka, Philippines, Jamaica, and Peru.
Interesting Fact: The name Kurkuma Lounga springs from the Arabic Plant Kurkum. In China, it’s called Jing Huang.
Nutritious value of turmeric:
|Total fat||3.25 g|
|Total NLEA||3.21 g|
|Vitamin C||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin E||4.43 mg|
|Fatty acid (total saturated)||1.838 g|
|Vitamin K||13.4 mg|
|Fatty acid (total monounsaturated)||0.449 g|
|Fatty acid (total polyunsaturated)||0.756 g|
Health Benefits of turmeric
The liver reduces blood purification by producing enzymes and turmeric increases the assembly of these important enzymes. These important enzymes break down toxins within the body and reduce their amount. Turmeric is also believed to help improve blood circulation. All these factors help you in maintaining good liver health.
2. Turmeric cures cancer
Curcumin present in turmeric prevents the development of cancer in the body. According to one study, curcumin fights cancer and also helps to extend the effect of chemotherapy. Turmeric becomes even more effective when mixed with black pepper. According to studies conducted on many animals, curcumin included in turmeric may lessen the number of growth of cancer cells and inhibit tumor growth.
Turmeric is useful in preventing prostate cancer as well also as preventing the event of existing prostate cancer. The medicinal properties present in turmeric are able to destroy cancer cells. Many researchers have found that the active ingredient present in turmeric is one of the diets providing the best defense against tumors.
The excellent anti-inflammatory properties contained in turmeric are excellent diets for the treatment of both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Apart from this, the antioxidant properties of turmeric destroy the free radicals in the body which can damage the body.
4. Lower cholesterol
Research proved that using turmeric in food can reduce serum cholesterol levels. It’s a known incontrovertible fact that excess cholesterol can cause other serious health problems. Therefore, maintaining proper cholesterol levels can prevent many cardiovascular diseases. Turmeric is rich in curcumin and Vitamin B6 also improves your cardiovascular health.
5. Boost immunity
Turmeric contains a substance called lipopolysaccharide, which reinforces the body’s system. Its antibacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal agents also aid in strengthening the system. If a person is suffering from a cold, cough, or flu can drink warm turmeric milk.
6. Wounds healing
Turmeric may be a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent and is employed as infection prevention. If your skin is burnt or cut, then you’ll apply turmeric powder on the affected area for its treatment. Turmeric helps repair damaged skin and can be used to treat psoriasis and other inflammatory skin disorders.
Turmeric has another important ingredient other than curcumin, which is called ‘tumor’. Research has proved that this compound can help repair brain cells. It also can help prevent neurodegenerative diseases like stroke and Alzheimer’s. Another study has shown that curcumin may also help in improving memory in Alzheimer’s disease.
8. For digestion
Many major constituents of turmeric irritate the gall bladder to produce bile, which improves digestion and reduces the symptoms of bloating and gas. Turmeric is also useful in treating most of the intestinal diseases including ulcerative colitis. It is important to note, however, that people suffering from any gallbladder disease should not take turmeric as a food supplement as it can worsen the condition. Turmeric is considered the best raw when suffering from digestive problems.
9. For menstruation
Many women experience severe menstrual pain and abdominal cramps. We often want to avoid this by utilizing turmeric benefits up to certain. One of the research done in Iran is that keracumin has an anti-inflammatory property that can reduce the symptoms of PMS before menstruation. Turmeric benefits can be reaped when turmeric milk during menstruation is often beneficial.
10. For cough
Some people have been using turmeric for years as a remedy for cough or cold because it is hot in the veins of turmeric. Adding turmeric powder to hot milk can reduce the problem of cough to a great extent. You can also drink in the form of tea that is turmeric tea. Not only that, but it’s also an anti-inflammatory effect on turmeric, that your intake may be effective for your bronchial asthma. Be aware that if you have a cough several days, it is better to seek medical advice once.
11. For hairs
Turmeric benefits can obtain by mixing Coconut oil with turmeric, work as an anti-fungal agent to help relieve dandruff problems. This can help to relieve the pain of dandruff and itching.
Side Effects of turmeric intake
1. Due to the spicy nature, prolonged intake of turmeric can affect your digestive system.
2. Turmeric is also known as a uterine stimulant, which can stimulate menstrual flow. Pregnant women and lactating mothers should avoid turmeric or limit their intake to protect their kids from any harm.
3. Since turmeric is used to slow blood clotting, it can cause bleeding. If you are taking anticoagulants and antiplatelet drugs, consuming turmeric can have negative effects on your health.
4. Turmeric side effects also include anemia. Indeed, a high intake of turmeric can cause iron deficiency within the body, increasing the risk of anemia.
5. Excess intake of turmeric may also cause bleeding, diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea.
6. Talking about the loss of turmeric, consuming turmeric can also cause headaches and rashes on the skin.
Uses of turmeric for skin
To whiten the skin, you will need turmeric along with some other ingredients. You can make different types of face packs using them.
Here are four types of face packs that can be easily made at home
1. Turmeric and milk Face Pack
Ingredients needed for Face pack:
- One teaspoon turmeric powder.
- One spoon of milk.
How to make face pack:
- Mix 1 teaspoon turmeric and 1 teaspoon milk together.
- After mixing the mixture well, now take this pack on your fingers and apply it on your face.
- After applying, leave it like this overnight.
- Then in the morning wash the face with a little gram flour and water, so that the yellow spots on the skin are cleared.
- This will brighten your skin and make it fair. It is also very beneficial for dry skin and pimples.
2. Gram flour and turmeric face pack
- One spoon gram flour.
- One-fourth turmeric.
- A small amount of milk.
- Take a bowl first.
- Now add a spoon of gram flour and then a quarter turmeric powder.
- Then add milk to it as well.
- Now after mixing this face pack well, apply it on your face.
- After applying it, leave it for 20 minutes.
- Then wet your hands and apply them on your face and massage for a few minutes.
- Then wash the skin with water.
3. Turmeric and cucumber juice face pack
- Two teaspoon cucumber juice.
- 1/4 turmeric.
- First, mix turmeric and cucumber juice in a bowl.
- Now apply it on your face and massage gently after applying it.
- Now after an hour wash the skin with clean water.
- Adopt this remedy daily in the evening, so that your skin is fair and pigmentation on nose, cheeks, forehead, etc. is removed.
Different ways of consuming turmeric
- Boil 1 cup of milk add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of ginger powder in it.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of powder in your soup and enjoy it.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder in 2 cups of water, 1 tablespoon of honey, lemon juice, and pepper and boil the mixture thoroughly. The drink is delicious and beneficial for the body.
- Using turmeric in any kind of vegetable makes the vegetable more delicious.
- Add a little turmeric to the salad as well. This can increase nutritional content in salads.
- Turmeric added as to give flavor to smoothies.
- Turmeric tea is also very refreshing. It can also add a little honey to taste. Turmeric powder added as an ingredient in a homemade face pack. The Turmeric benefits generally experienced by applying it to a hair mask.
After knowing the advantages of these turmerics, it is a gem and the considerable amount of turmeric may be a treasure of qualities. the utilization of turmeric is often helpful in preventing many health problems. In such a situation, its limited amount reaps its maximum health benefits. Turmeric is an Ayurvedic medicine, which may have a gradual effect. Therefore, for the effect of the medicinal properties of turmeric, consume it with moderation, and wait for the results.
We hope this article helped you to know about Turmeric benefits on health and its disadvantages. You may also want to see our guide on What Too Much Sodium Do To Your Body, Salt Side Effects, and How To Maintain Hygiene In Intimate Area.